Monday 15 September 2008

more Gmail security NOT

since my post discussing Gmail security, or the lack of, Google have done, well, nothing to address the situation.

Actually that’s not entirely true they have posted this article stating that users cannot register addresses similar to yours, but with a dot in it

therefore, according to Google

another@gmail.com also regsiters a.n.other@gmail.com

at least that’s what they say…today i received the full details of a purchase someone with a similar but subtly different email address  (add a dot) made, with enough information to easily acquire their identity. I have since delete this email and told the intended recipient (assuming Gmail doesn’t just send it back to me).

 

this seems to be an intermittent fault, I cant believe that uses would continue to use a Gmail account that never received email and I only seem to get partial threads but Google really need to sort this out,

not good enough

 

post script

it gets better, looking into this a little further it is possible for me to access this persons account and credit details for this purchase by simply using the forgot password link and emailing the password to their email address…which goes into my account!!!

/shakes head

 

Technorati Tags: ,
blog comments powered by Disqus